Q & A with Ms. Klekas

Jocelyn Tierney, Entertainment Editor

“You Can’t Take It with You” is this year’s fall play and will be showing November 14-15 and 21- 22. This comedic play is about a man from a family of rich snobs who becomes engaged to a woman from a good-natured, but unquestionably unusual family. Drama teacher Katherine Klekas gives more details about this upcoming production.

Q: Why did you choose this play?
A: It is a classic script that we’ve never done at Liberty. It includes a large cast of fun characters, which mean opportunities for many actors. The message is good but it’s not didactic; it’s fun.

Q: Why should the student body come to watch and support this production?
A: It is an amusing and touching show—a fun way to spend a Friday or Saturday evening. Like all good theatre, the play will entertain you and make you think. It’s also great to come and support the Patriot Players and all their hard work. We have a lot of new students participating in this production, and coming to see them is a great way to welcome them and make them feel valued at Liberty.

Q: What are you most excited/proud of about in regards to this play?
A: I’m looking forward to seeing the audience experience the interactions between all of the eccentric characters. I think they’ll be amused.
Q: Tell me about the traveling children’s play.
A: Because there’s no winter play, I decided to put together a small show in Theatre Production class, and the students who auditioned for the fall play but weren’t cast in You Can’t Take It With You will all be cast in that second show. There is no budget for it and the school facility calendar is very full, so I decided to do a children’s show that we could take on tour to Briarwood, Apollo, Newcastle, and Maple Hills elementary schools. We’re planning to do Ernie’s Incredible Illucinations, which is a British comedy about a bored young boy who has such an active imagination that his fantasies come to life. It should be fun to put together.