The Patriot Press

Celebrating 40 Years of Patriot Pride

Celebrating 40 Years of Patriot Pride

Annabelle Smith

September 29, 2017

Happy 40th, Liberty!  In the first week of school, students and staff celebrated Liberty’s 40th birthday with a party in the commons, ice cream, and 1,500 free t-shirts. All this was part of Principal Sean Martin’s efforts to increase a feeling of community among Liberty’s student body. ...

Drugs, Alcohol…Phones?

Drugs, Alcohol…Phones?

Annabelle Smith and Valerie Adams

June 6, 2017

Phone Addiction and Your Health It’s no question that anxiety can be seen in many aspects of a teenager’s life. Anxiety levels rise from stressors like exams, family pressure, and important sports events — but what about cell phones? How can a small device that is such a large part of our live...

The immigration dilemma: how do immigrants impact Liberty?

Katrina Filer and Christina Tuttle

May 11, 2017

On January 27, 2017, President Trump first issued an executive order temporarily suspending immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries. People from across the political spectrum have weighed in on this policy: supporters claim that the executive order protects American security, while opponents...

The roles of romance and friendship

Christina Tuttle and Katrina Filer

May 9, 2017

Romantic Relationships When you think of romantic relationships, you probably envision loving couples holding hands in the hall or grand gestures complete with roses, boxes of chocolates, and oversized Costco teddy bears. However, relationships consist of more than just these public displays of affe...

Recognizing and respecting Liberty’s religions

Christina Tuttle and Katrina Filer

March 27, 2017

According to a recent survey of 276 Liberty students, 79 percent of them adhere to some form of religion. The remaining 21 percent are either atheist or agnostic. How does Liberty’s religious variety affect our lives? And how do we confront the religious conflicts and stereotypes in our community?...

Anxiety and Depression: the hidden struggles of a Patriot

Christina Tuttle and Katrina Filer

November 4, 2016

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 8 percent of US teens suffer from some type of diagnosed anxiety disorder, and 12.5 percent have experienced at least one depressive episode in the last year. Comparatively, a survey of 237 Liberty students found that anxiety affects roughly 13 percent...

Employment: a benefit or a burden?

Christina Tuttle and Katrina Filer

June 7, 2016

Imagine the bell rings at 2:16 and as your friends mingle in the hallways discussing their plans for the evening, you sprint out to your car. Instead of driving home to relax, start your schoolwork, or practice for sports, you rush to your job for a five hour shift. With summer approaching, many high...

Define happiness

Kenadi Browne and Megan So

May 5, 2016

The dictionary defines happiness as “the quality or state of being happy,” including synonyms such as pleasure, joy, exhilaration, bliss, contentedness, delight, and enjoyment. Liberty students know what these words mean, but do they truly know what happiness is? Join the Patriot Press as we explore...

Do you know the truth about vaping?

Kenadi Browne and Megan So

April 18, 2016

According to a survey of 334 Liberty students, 24% of them have used an e-cigarette, or “vaped,” at least once. But how many of those students truly understand the effects of using this product? How many know exactly what they are inhaling? Join the Patriot Press as we explore the issue of vaping...

Time for Change?

Kenadi Browne and Megan So

February 24, 2016

During the 2003-2004 school year, the Issaquah School District created a committee to discuss the issue of school start times, which ultimately resulted in no change. Recently, however, this issue has resurfaced, and the proposed bell time change has sparked heated debate in the Issaquah community. While...

Good morning, sleep deprivation

Kenadi Browne and Megan So

December 1, 2015

A Day in the Life of Liberty Students “Typically, I wake up at about 6 a.m. and come to school. After school, I have swim until 5:30, and then I go home and do homework until 11 p.m. or 12 a.m., depending on what other stuff I have to do. I also do theater, so when it comes to that time of the year,...

Just As I Am: One Extra Chromosome

Kenadi Browne and Megan So

October 22, 2015

Campbell Wyman leads a typical seventh grade life. He plays multiple sports throughout the year, doing especially well in skiing and swimming. He enjoys his elective classes at Maywood, particularly P.E. and Cooking. He loves Michael Jackson, and he often dances to Thriller. He also has Down syndrome. Down...

Forum for student expression since 1977