The clock is ticking for TikTok

Daniel Flash, Backpage Editor

So TikTok almost got banned for about the 100th time. But, like the first 99 times, it wasn’t banned, which means now, our world can continue revolving around Addison Rae and Charli D’amelio. For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past 12 months and think the words TikTok relate to a clock, TikTok is an app where people can show their creativity and imagination by making fun, short videos. As TikTok still holds its place as one of the most popular apps among the Liberty High School community, it would be tough to imagine what Liberty would be like if there were no TikTok.

First off, bathroom breaks during class wouldn’t take so long. Skipping class to make TikToks in the bathroom is one of the student body’s favorite pastimes. When TikTok was first released, the five-minute bathroom rule at Liberty mysteriously disappeared. Students have never traveled in bigger packs on the way to the bathroom. But without TikTok, there would be more class attendance, fewer distractions, and most importantly for teachers, fewer jokes made by students that they don’t understand. 

TikTok was bought by a computer software company called Oracle, which means the app won’t be going away anytime soon. Luckily for teachers, I don’t think many TikTok bathroom breaks will be happening during online school anyways. But once we go back to in-person learning, be ready for the return of the TikTok invasion of Liberty.

This sounds like a bad thing, but honestly, it gives teachers the perfect opportunity to teach their subjects. No student likes sitting through a 90-minute lecture about Romeo and Juliet or why the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Teachers need to start making TikToks to teach their lessons. For example, in math, instead of teaching the end behaviors for a graph through writing on a whiteboard and doing practice worksheets, teachers can make a TikTok doing the famous end behavior dance, more commonly known as the “even, even, odd, odd, dance.”

There you go teachers, free advice for saving your whole curriculum. You’re welcome.