Classes: to switch or not to switch?

Paige Hopkins, Staff Writer

We’ve all had that feeling. That sense of excitement as you log on to Family Access to find out your schedule after months of anticipation, that quickly turns to dread when you realize you’ve gotten what appears to be the single worst schedule in Liberty High School history.

While our guidance counselors work to accommodate everyone’s requests, it’s obviously not possible to give every Liberty student everything they want.

But the question is when is it okay to switch out of a class? Should you be allowed to switch if you have no friends in that period?

Is getting a teacher you don’t like a reason for change?

I’ve been put in classes with no friends on several occasions. It’s never fun to walk in, realize you know no one, and then immediately get the overwhelming sense that everyone in that class thinks you’re a friendless loser.

However, classes where you don’t know anyone can still be enjoyable. After a few days of solitary confinement, you are forced to get up, shake off your fears, and meet some new people.

It’s always intimidating to start talking to some random person, but in the long run it makes the class more enjoyable, and expands your circle of friends.

As for teachers, it’s true that some teachers are widely known for being difficult.
In the past, I’ve gotten teachers who were supposed to be really challenging, or in one case, simply referred to as a “GPA-crusher.”

Yet, despite their fearsome reputations, most of the horror stories turned out to be exaggerations, and I ended up having a good experience with most of these teachers. A lot of the time, it’s just a matter of adjusting to a teacher’s style.

Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. The odds are you won’t like every teacher. I’ve had a couple experiences with teachers that I wouldn’t exactly call positive.

However, in every class, for some weird reason that completely baffles the rest of us, at least a couple students end up loving an unpopular teacher.

The point is, you never really know how your personal experience with a teacher will go, so it’s only fair to give them a chance.

In short, a lack of friends in a class or an intimidating teacher doesn’t mean that you have to prepare yourself for imminent doom.

Yes, there’s always a chance that a class could end up being a 90-minute torture session, but most of the time a subject ends up better than you think it will.

So give a class a chance before you run frantically down to the counselor’s office begging for a schedule change.