Music lives at Liberty

Kade Ecker, Beat Editor

Music Alive is arguably one of the most important annual events held at Liberty. Joining together elementary to high school students for the past decade, this event instills an immense sense of community within the choir programs.

Music Alive has been a long-standing tradition at Liberty High School, bringing together all six of Liberty’s feeder schools. All seven programs, which include students ranging in age from as young as eight to as old as eighteen, join together in Liberty’s gymnasium to sing as a one group and showcase the music programs of the Issaquah School District. Each choir sings a handful of their own songs individually, followed by group performances. 

These group performances give the elementary and middle school singers a chance to be guided by the older choir students and experience a performance with such a large audience. Music Alive has consistently been a major event for both the younger students who often seek guidance from Liberty’s experienced singers, as well as the Liberty choir members who have the opportunity to serve as role models for these budding musicians.

“Being a role model for younger kids was scary at first because I didn’t want to mess up. But now I realize that just honestly being myself is enough for them,” senior Samantha Klein said. “Showing them that I love what I do encourages them to stick with the program.”

Being a role model for so many students is a daunting task that these older students take in stride, reveling in their potential to positively impact the course these singers take. 

“They really enjoy working with us and we love working with them, so it’s just a great growth opportunity for everyone,” junior Joe Cox said. 

The experience that the high school students earn from participating in this event is unrivaled. For many of Liberty’s choir members, they have been able to experience Music Alive both as an elementary and middle school aged student, and now as a high schooler. . For the freshmen who are wrapping up  their first year as high school choir members, the difference between being a younger student and older student at the event is the most evident.

“I think my perspective especially changed with a different teacher. It was definitely an adjustment, but I still really love the great community,” freshman Isa Nocco said. 

Adapting to the distinct teaching styles of different teachers can definitely be a difficult adjustment ; however, continuing to advance through the ranks of the choir program is  worthwhile for many students and a variety of instruction styles from different teachers aids in the development of more skills and a more well-rounded musical perspective. Liberty’s choir director, Erick Price, consistently tries to include at least one song that is in a language aside from English in most of his performances, including two in the Music Alive performance this year. 

“I think it’s good to have that cultural representation, and it’s really cool to learn about traditional songs from other countries and the stories behind them,” freshman Caraline Rayner said. 

The inclusion of music from other cultures has strongly resonated with many of the singers, leading to a greater appreciation amongst the group for the complexity of some languages and the beauty of others.The willingness of these choir students to attempt difficult songs which they have little to no familiarity with demonstrates the grit and dedication that many pour into the program.

“Even if we don’t really understand what the words are saying to the full extent, we’re still able to communicate the meaning of the songs to our audience. I think all of us singing in a different language together is quite beautiful,” Klein said. 

Additionally, the high school students that take the extra time to present  themselves as positive role models for the younger students that participate in Music Alive help provide an example to these young, impressionable singers about the importance of including diversity in their programs and not backing down from intimidating tasks.

“I just want to be a good role model for them and hopefully inspire them to continue with choir,” Rayner said. 

All in all, Music Alive is an exemplary demonstration of the skills and talents that are developed throughout advancement in the choir program and provides younger students with role models that can help shape their future choir paths. Despite the large age range that the event includes, the performers are able to come together one night a year to bond over their shared passion at this annual event.

“We all have this common ground; that is music,” Klein said.