Liberty students earn full-ride military scholarships for college

Eowyn Ream, Staff Writer

As college costs rise, many students struggle to pay for their education–Liberty students included. To help with the cost of college, the US military offers a variety of scholarships. Logan Harris, a recent graduate of Liberty, earned a full-ride scholarship from the United States Navy. 

Rising Costs: According to CNBC, the cost of college has grown steadily since 1970, with private universities seeing the highest increase in tuition and fees.

“I applied for the NROTC scholarship because it offered the best way to accomplish two goals: serve my country and pursue higher education. College-level NROTC will allow me to do both, while also helping me afford schooling,” Harris said.

Harris’ character, well-rounded academics, and outstanding physical fitness earned him a valuable opportunity offered to few Americans. 

“It gives me access to a career field that few Americans get access to. For me, this is my dream job. NROTC will give me the opportunity to become a Naval Aviator,” Harris said.

As expected, the scholarship process is competitive. Around 5,000 seniors apply for NROTC scholarships each year, and only 1,200 are accepted.

“The NROTC scholarship is a huge deal to me. It is a source of pride and the culmination of a lot of hard work,” Harris said. 

Like Harris, Liberty graduates Matthew Martin and Preston Mirante also earned ROTC scholarships, and Kaitlin Lew received an appointment to the Naval Academy. 

“I’ve wanted to join the military since I was four. I did Sea Cadets in middle school, and then I joined NJROTC at Liberty,” Martin said. 

Now a part of the San Diego State University NROTC program, Martin hopes to one day become a Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Specialist, disarming and disposing of explosive matter. 

It All Adds Up: Matthew Martin (above) and Logan Harris (below) receive recognition for their NROTC scholarships at the NJROTC Awards Ceremony on May 17, 2022. (Photo courtesy of Anna Ream)

Most major colleges and universities maintain an ROTC program, but some who wish to serve in the military attend a Service Academy, where students study in an intense military environment. Service academies are highly selective; only 8-20% of applicants are accepted. 

“Every day we wear uniforms that people have lost their lives in and walk by monuments and buildings named after some of the greatest leaders in our country’s history,” Lew said.

While the Naval Academy is designed to be far more physically, mentally, and morally challenging than other colleges, Lew feels fortunate to attend.

“I have the responsibility to uphold the Naval Academy’s legacy, and that privilege means a lot,” Lew said.