Q & A with the yearbook editors

Ella Williamson, Staff Writer

Our yearbook staff is responsible for the book of memories we receive at the end of every school year, but what happens to the yearbook when our lives at Liberty get flipped upside down? We interviewed senior yearbook editors Kylie Wasisco, Ryan Bosch, and Theo Koob to learn about the struggles yearbook has faced and how the class has continued documenting memories in the midst of a pandemic.

Q: What is different about creating this year’s yearbook versus yearbooks in the past?

A:

Theo Koob: Content-wise, it’s more freeing. We usually have to rely on staff to get pictures, but now anyone can send in pictures. We can get really great pictures, like a beautiful picture of a sunset on the top of a mountain, but there are also some really bad pictures, too. Last week we had 200 photos of just two kids from their moms!

Kylie Wasisco: It’s also hard to get a lot of different kids in the book because people who do send in pictures will send them in over and over, while some kids don’t send in any.

Q: What are some things you have in this year’s yearbook that you didn’t have last year?

A:
Ryan Bosch: We have a Netflix page for what people have been binging. We have a full page dedicated to hiking and what people are doing outside during the pandemic.

Theo Koob: We also have things like quarantine squads and who students hang out in their “pods.”

Q: What is something you wouldn’t know about yearbook unless you were in the class?

A:

Kylie Wasisco: I’d say the biggest thing is the freedom we have with the book. We basically design the entire thing, and we can do whatever we want with it. Also, the class is really relaxed and not stressful at all.

Ryan Bosch: I would also say that Ms. Cooke is a really awesome person. When you’re in yearbook, you develop a personal connection with her even if you aren’t an editor. She’s just really caring towards everyone, so it’s nice to have someone to look up to.

Q: What advice would you give to people who want to join yearbook?

A:

Kylie Wasisco: Once it goes back to in-person, you have to be aware of your time outside of school. If you have a lot of activities, I wouldn’t register for yearbook because you have to go to events outside of school.

Ryan Bosch: You have to have a really good sense of time management. Yearbook in person is really fun, so you can get distracted and not want to do your work that day, and then the deadline builds on you.

Theo Koob: It’s also fun because you’re a part of Liberty’s memory, you know? The yearbook is something that someone’s going to have forever, or until they’re really old. We’re gonna be in 2080, and kids are going to look at their grandparents’ photos from Liberty. Being a part of yearbook allows you to contribute to that year’s legacy—something that will live on forever.