A new wave of athletes transforms girls tennis

Sam Kelderman, Sports Editor

With an undefeated 7-0 season so far, the tennis team, led by sophomore Grace Lee, freshman Luciana Sobrino, junior Sienna Rice, and junior Jyotsna Kuramkote has found immense success in their singles and developing doubles teams, becoming the best tennis team in school history.
“My favorite memory so far this year has to be our pizza party we had,” Lee said. “We shared a toast to celebrate our success and hard work paying of this season, and I am really proud of our team.”
The team’s match against Issaquah highlights the strength the team has demonstrated this season.
“All four of our singles girls (Lee, Sobrino, Rice, and Kuramkote) won their matches against Issaquah,” Lee said. “If we win the first four singles matches, then we win the whole match. I thought, okay, we beat Issaquah—this is great! But then one of our other teams beat another Issaquah team, and then we won 5-2. It was kind of an overwhelming majority that we won by.”
The team’s overwhelming success this season, gives the athletes high hopes for post season competition at state.
“Every player brings a different aspect and level of play which makes our team feel so complete,” Sobrino said. “If we get the right players developed in time, then we have a strong chance for state.”
Kuramkote also has high hopes for her team at state.
“We have a really strong change with our singles players,” Kuramkote said. “Also, we are developing our doubles team, and we have a better chance with them this year compared to last year, and I think we can send four or five girls to post season.”
Kuramkote credits the unity that the girls have created this year. The team is open to all players of varying skill level, and leaves judgment or preconceived notions out.
“Anyone can play,” Kuramkote said. “It’s a great way to get in shape for the summer and you can spend time with your friends. We are trying to make it a chill sport.”
The team’s dedication and heart for each other showed at a practice when a girl got a bad bloody nose, and got the courts covered in blood.
“We were all in line scrubbing the courts,” Kuramkote said. “Even though it was kind of a weird thing that happened, we were working together, and we all had gloves scrubbing the ground. Something about it felt very selfless, and I’m glad to be a part of such a supportive team.”
In their recent match against Juanita, Sobrino defeated Juanita’s number one player 6-2, Rice had an exciting 7-5 win, and Kuramkote won in her singles competition 7-6.