Boys tennis season ends with a smash

Gabe Waldbaum, Editor-In-Chief

The varsity boys tennis team finished its post season by winning District Three and sending five people to the state tournament.
While the team had a great post season, their regular season also finished strong. The varsity team finished with five wins and seven losses.
“In my four years of experience for Liberty this is definitely the strongest tennis team that we’ve had,” senior and captain Marek Pierepiekarz said.
One reason for this strength is the addition of brand new varsity members Bryan Le, Cade Hughes, Marco Sobrino, Colby Vuong, and Calvin Vuong joining the team.
“The team atmosphere at Liberty is definitely a lot better than a club because you make friends and have bonding moments. Clubs are about form and technique and don’t really have bonding moments. It’s more like straight up lessons,” Sobrino said.
“A factor to the team’s success this season was the fact that players practiced together during the off season. When tryouts began in August, as a team, we were well ahead of the curve from prior years,” Coach Mike Salokas said.
The doubles pairs, sophomore Marco Sobrino and junior Cody Hughes placed fifth winning 6-0, 2-6, 10-6 against Lindbergh, and junior Ethan Le and freshman Bryan Le placed third in the District tournament winning 6-4, 6-0 against Washington.
For singles, Pierepiekarz placed third overall by winning an injury default. The team won the tournament with ten points overall. All of these people qualified for the state tournament.
“My plan for the future is making sure as a team we each individually get as far as we can and just add up to that team total and then maybe we can come out on top,” Pierepiekarz said.