Liberty Soccer girls kick it into college

Abby Russell, Staff Writer

The Liberty Soccer girls are committing and considering many prestigious colleges. Their club and high school teams have provided these girls with experience and skill that these colleges are looking for.
Many players on Liberty’s team, not just seniors, are being looked at by colleges such as UW, ASU, Western, and more.
“I always get really excited when I’m playing and look up and see recruiters in the stands,” sophomore Sydney Willoughby said.
Liberty and club soccer teams have helped strengthen these girls to be fantastic team members and individual players.
“Our coach Tami is a very good and supporting coach and her husband, Viet, is also the coach of my club team,” Willoughby said. “They both have helped me with choosing and deciding which colleges I should consider.”
These girls appreciate all their coaches’ effort and confidence that they will move onto playing in college.
“There are hundreds of colleges in the country that offer women’s soccer, it is about finding the right fit for each player,” Coach Tami Nguyen said. “We have many talented players that are passionate about soccer and I strongly believe the passion is what will carry them through to play college soccer.”
Some senior players on the soccer team have committed to D1 colleges and are very excited to attend these schools next year.
“I committed to Virginia Tech and I wanted to get away so I really love that it’s on the east coast. I know the coach well and like him,” senior Jordan Hemmen said.
These players are looking for colleges not only to better their soccer playing, but to precede their education for their desired career.
“I’m looking at Embry-Riddle because of their soccer team and aeronautical engineering school. I’m leaning towards this school because I want to be either an engineer or astronaut,” senior Maddy Mak said.
The soccer team has been dominating their competition so far with five wins in the KingCo conference and two in the preseason, one loss, and two tied games (update closer to print).
Nguyen is optimistic about the team this season.
“We have an exciting team this year with versatile players and great leadership. They are a group that strives to be the best, so making sure things are balanced is my goal for this team,” Nguyen said.