Lacrosse looks to change previous team culture

Taylor Jackson, Sports Editor

While not officially classified as a “school sport,” the mens Liberty lacrosse team is still a large part of the Liberty sports community, and is prepared to prove that this season. The team is looking to capitalize on a larger team this year and surpass last year’s performance, which ended in the second round of playoffs.

“This year we really want to win State, obviously, but one of the biggest goals we have is to improve the club for the better,” senior Alec Waters said. “Most of our program is made up of younger players that are the foundation for the future success of Liberty lacrosse. We want to promote a strong work ethic so that not only is this year a success, but all the years to come as well.”

This year the team has 34 players as opposed to last year’s 27, and the returning players are enthusiastic about the influx of new players and how they’ll benefit the team. There are only three seniors—Nate Jarvis, Alec Waters, and Curtis Boydston—on the Varsity team, leaving room for new and younger players.

“The new players help to give the older players opportunities to become leaders in the program, and also to become better because both levels challenge one another to become better,” Waters said.

Riley Larson, Jackson Wray, and Reid Parsons were the only freshmen to make the Varsity team, but there are a number of others who are on the border. Among the older standouts, Waters mentioned Pierce Suarez as a player with great skill and work ethic, both in practices and games.

So far this season there have been only three Varsity games. In their first match up against Bellarmine Prep, the Patriots fell 8-15. Their second game saw a score of 7-9 against Juanita, and their third 3-15 against Bothell. Their next game is against Inglemoor on March 27.