Golf sees strong early season matches

Kasey Winter, Staff Writer

Perfection. That is how Womens golf manager Ben Graham described golf.

“People don’t understand how hard it is. People think it’s just a little ball and a stick but they don’t understand it takes a lot more hand-eye coordination and devotion than they think,” Graham said. “Golf has taught me patience and perseverance; if you want something you have to practice at it until you get it.”

The womens team see’s golf much more than a sport; they see it as a passion. Senior captain Hanna Hanson is working extremely hard to make sure the team makes it to state this year.

“We’ve practiced on and off season and I think everyone has improved. We have 17 really strong girls coming out onto the team and we have a really good shot at state.”

Sophomore golfer Jaida Woo said the teams hardest matches will be against Mercer Island and Bellevue.

“Mercer Island practices and plays harder than we do and it will be a very challenging match both physically and mentally,” Hanson said.

Warlick believes the larger size of the team this year will give them new opportunities.

“I had 14 returning players and 3 new freshmen, I have the largest team I have ever had with 17 players,” Warlick said. “Our captains, Taylor Woo and Hanna Hanson are truly strong leaders and players, as well as junior golfers Sami Galluzzo and Maddie Smith.”

The team won its match 252-304 against Mercer Island on March 18. The match medalist was senior captain Taylor Woo with a score of 47 closely followed by Hanson with a score of 48. Other players in the top five of the match were Maddie Smith, Christina Snow, and Khanh Nguyen.

Warlick said the Mercer Island course is one of the longest and hardest courses that they play on so it’s good experience and has prepared them for their meet against Juanita that was on Monday the 23. Liberty won the match 235-280.