Credit for creativity: athletes of the arts

Soraya Marashi, Staff Writer

A rigorous audition process, competitive call backs, and four grueling months of blood, sweat, and hoarse voices – all in the name of the arts.
The students in the Drama department, namely, those who participate in the fall play or spring musical, spend about 15 hours or so a week rehearsing, not counting the intensity of tech week (the week before the opening of the show), in which students stay at school until 10 P.M. every night.
When compared with those who participate in a school sport, on average, the same amount of time is spent on their craft. While the soccer team is out running laps around the track, the musical ensemble is running a gigantic dance number over. And over. And over again.
Additionally, similar to members of a sports team, cast members are subject to strict grade checks as well as a rigorous schedule, whereas if you miss one too many rehearsals, you are completely cut from the show.
In short, it is clear that the grind of a student athlete can be easily compared to the grind of a Patriot Player; however, the administration seems to think differently.
Participating in the spring musical is simply viewed as an extracurricular activity, not counting toward any graduation requirements, regardless of the size of your role. Speaking as a senior who just paid $300 for an online art class to meet art credit requirements, but is currently a lead in the spring musical, this is just a bit absurd.
If you’re a cast or crew member of one of the Drama department’s large productions, you should be able to get at least ¼ of an arts credit toward your graduation requirements, just like how athletes can get ¼ of a P.E. credit. It is unfair, unreasonable, and ridiculous how participating (of one’s own initiative) in a live form of the dramatic arts is not regarded as a worthy credit toward graduation requirements.
Thus, whether you’re hustling on the stage or on the field, all co-curricular activities should be treated the same, especially when it comes to graduating.