Take advantage of what Liberty offers

Logan Allan, Editor-in-Chief

With each year that passes by, students tend to become less involved in activities that they once loved. The club that you used to love and go to weekly becomes a name on the announcements heard once a week; the sport team that you used to play for has gone to state, and you hear about the outcome through your old friends’ Twitter feeds.
While it’s understandable that each year of high school seems to feel more draining, and the only thing that sounds nice after a seemingly endless day of school is a quick nap, or a few episodes of Parks and Rec to feel a little less dead inside, I would encourage students to think about the opportunities that they are missing out on by not remaining involved in the Liberty community.
Extra-curriculars, whether it’s practicing a new play with your teammates out on the field or tackling world issues with your peers in MUN or JSA, are designed to keep students feeling included in the student body and to give them a place to explore their interests.
Remaining in extra-curriculars throughout your high school career not only shows colleges and employers how involved you are in your community, but also shows how dedicated you are to your passions and your interests.
These volunteering programs, clubs, part-time jobs, etc. are vital to your resumes, because colleges and employers know the kind of community that they want to build, and therefore they look for the kinds of people that would help their community thrive.
So what’s the benefit while you’re still in school?
Well, as entertaining as playing Dark Souls III and screaming my teenage angst out against the Nameless King is, I always feel refreshed from heading to my clubs because of how they act like a productive social network. You get to hear fresh and new perspectives, be a part of something that expands upon your passion, and can become a safe place within the community to start wearing your badge of individuality.
So, my fellow Patriot, when is the last time that you tried going to a club that sounded remotely interesting to you? Don’t shy away from it just because you don’t have friends in there already. Be brave and start contributing, whether it’s Mind Matters, Liberty’s softball team, or Dungeons and Dragons Club. Get involved with the things that matter to you.