History Day competitors qualify for Nationals

Ellie Hohensinner, News Editor

Liberty’s History Club tied for first at the state competition on May 3 and seven students qualified for the National Competition in Washington D.C on June 14.

The group of seven students that qualified for Nationals had to place either first or second in their category. In the Individual Website Category, sophomore Andrew Cooper placed first, and freshman Dahmanpreet Kaur placed second. In the Group Website, sophomores Lauryn Hepp, Carlyn Schmidgall, and Sally Rim placed second, and in the Group Exhibit sophomores Lorrin Johnson and Vincy Fok placed second.

“Liberty High School won the competition overall, and tied with a team in Eastern Washington. We have a huge trophy in the trophy case that we get to keep for half the year. We had everyone final, and I think it is great and the team did really, really well,” History Day Advisor and Librarian JoAnn Olsson said.

Also contributing to the Liberty win, were sixth place finishes by freshman Sabrina Suen with a Historical Paper, and a Group Website created by sophomores Clara Bardot, Paige Hopkins and Tyra Christopherson.

“We are all really excited to be going to D.C. I am really proud about how all of the kids did, and I think we represented Liberty exceptionally,” Olsson said.