Q&A with Danny Kam

“The Drowsy Chaperone” is this year’s spring musical and will be showing April 24, 25, 30 and May 1 at 7:30, and May 2 at 2:30 and 7:30. The Drowsy Chaperone is a comedic tribute to the American musicals of the Jazz Age, examining the effect musicals have on the fans who adore them. It concerns a musical theatre fanatic eager to tell you about his favorite Broadway musical: “The Drowsy Chaperone.” Former Liberty student and Director Danny Kam gives more details about this upcoming production.

Jocelyn Tierney, Entertainment Editor

Q: Were you the one to choose this show? If so, why did you choose it?

A: I was not the one to choose it, although I love it so much! I performed in the Seattle premiere a few years ago and it was an incredible experience. It’s not only a hysterically funny show, but it has a lot of great opportunities for everyone onstage to really shine.

Q: Any memorable or funny moments you’d like to share from rehearsal?

A: There is so much laughter in the room when we rehearse! The show is very much a comedy, and we make each other laugh all the time. There is a scene in the show called “The Spit-Take Scene,” which basically involves one character repeatedly spitting on another character. The first time we rehearsed it full out, we were all peeing our pants (except the guy who gets spat on).

Q: How is the rehearsal process coming for “The Drowsy Chaperone”?

A: Though we are off to a great start, it turns out musical theatre is really hard! We aren’t just goofing around on stage all day. There are so many elements to coordinate, and as the director, that’s all on you. The cast is acting, singing and dancing at the same time (not just one or two of those), there is a live orchestra, sets have to be painted, lighting has to be programmed, costumes have to be sewn and built… It’s really a synthesis of every art form you can think of. Except cooking. We don’t cook. But we have snacks.

Q: What are you most excited/proud of about in regards to this production?

A: I had the privilege of helping Ms. Klekas build the production team for this show and we’ve brought in some really amazing artists to complement the faculty and parent volunteers here at Liberty. I will give particular shout-outs to Carly Hutchison, our choreographer, and Nancy Horner, our costume designer. They are both amazing artists and total professionals, and I’m so happy and grateful to have them both on my team. The movement and the costumes in this production will be nothing short of breathtaking. Also, we are landing a plane on the stage.